Setting up JDK on you computer: So You Can Begin Java Programming
- Go to google.com
- Search “Java JDK”
- Most likely click the first link (which should be a download page: here is the current site: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html)
- There should be four options to download (Java Platform JDK, JDK + JavaFX Bundle, JDK+ Java Beans, and JDK+ Java EE Bundle) any of those options are fine to download, to follow along with this tutorial, just download the Java Platform JDK.
- Install just like any other program, with all the default settings (Click next a bunch of times, read Term&Conditions, etc.)
- Click the Start Button (yes this is tutorial for Windows) and go to My Computer
- Click on the main harddrive (for most it is C:)
- Click on the Program Files folder> Open up the folder called Java
- Click on the version of Java you downloaded (something like jdk1.6.0_12)
- Open the bin folder
- Inside the bin Folder look for the File called javac, and right-click on it and go to Properties
- A new window should pop up giving the properties of the javac, there should be an attribute called Location. Find the and copy the path (example: “C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_ 12\bin”
- Now we have the Path Location, so Click the start button again and right-click on the “Computer” and open up the “Properties”.
- In the left side bar look for “Advanced system settings” and open that up (Click Continue)
- Towards the bottom of the popup, Click “Environment Variables…”
- Set up a new User variable by clicking the top most “New..” button (under the “User variables for xxxxx”)
- for the Variable name, type: Path
- and for the Variable value, paste your Location of the javac, for example: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_ 12\bin
- Click OK on all three popups and close your System settings panel as well.
- open up the command prompt again (Click start and type “cmd” in the search, press enter)
- Type “javac” in the command prompt and your problems should be solved
Hope that helps, and look forward to developing some applications/games with you guys.